Wednesday 4 June 2014

Just one Question...{If you are from Africa why are you white?!}




Absolutely ages ago I got some questions on my blog that I have never 
had a chance to answer.  Well I am trying to get my blog into shape
 & finish off all my draft posts so finally here are a couple!

4.  Julie Tucker-Wolek If you could live anywhere else
 in the world where would it be?

Well that's a good question & one I've given
A LOT of thought to even before you asked it!!

 As a white person in Africa it's something
I've had to give serious consideration to, as,
 even though it's my continent too, and where I was 
born & bred,I am sometimes discriminated against.


{A quote from Mean Girls (movie) - 2004}

I love the thought of living somewhere in Europe, somewhere
where there are lots of artistic people & simple yet
sophisticated living.  Perhaps France, the Netherlands,
or Belgium.  Or one of the Eastern European countries.
I love the UK too but it's not what it was a decade ago.

Of course I would no doubt struggle with anywhere where
the weather was too cold too often as I have always lived
in sunshiney places & I am also aware of the high cost of
living in Europe, & of course the language barrier.


The sad thing is wherever I move to one day will never be home.
I was born & bred in Zimbabwe which is a country now in tatters
& as a result I am one of many, many permanently 'homeless'people...


HAPPY HUMP DAY PEOPLE!!
I am busy working on a couple of layouts I will be able to share soon - yay!!




6 comments:

Paula Calvanico said...

California is a beautiful and warm weather place ;)

It's sad Helen when a country so very rich in ores, minerals and the such which gives it the potential to be so much, yet it falls due to the powers that be.

Paula

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Thanks for answering my question!! I too would live in Europe ... and I have never considered the White/Africa question -- I always think of Charlize Theron and know that she is from South Africa - so I never would have questioned why someone that is white is from Africa :) I am sorry that you have had to go through prejudices like that :(

yyam said...

I think everyone experiences discrimination..no matter where you live in the world. It is sad when you can't live in your home country and feel displaced. I still live in my home country but with all the urbanization that is going on, it is unrecognizable as the place I grew up in...and makes me sad.

Lizzy Hill said...

Interesting commentary Helen...poor ole Zimbabwe has certainly been through the mill [going through].....I often thank God that I was born & live in Australia....

Lynette Jacobs said...

Interesting answer. I have never even thought of living any other place than right here. Yes there is a lot of unlovely things in our country...but we still maintain a good quality life and I love this crazy, colourful country of ours.

Diana Bewsey said...

I was born in Sth Africa and I am white. We moved to Australia when I was 8yrs old and I still remember the kids at school asking me why I was white not black!