Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Color Room 98 & Creative Scrappers 193 {Behind That Smile Layout}





I ALWAYS want to play over at The Color Room.
Ever since I discovered colour challenges I have LOVED
them.  As an artist all my life I have always loved putting 
anything together using colour as the glue that ties it all
together.  I hear that it is difficult for some but not for me!
Luckily it's one thing that comes easy...


I'm sure you've noticed that purple has been making
a minor comeback for the last year or so.  It's a very
regal and Victorian colour so in keeping with some of
the fashion trends of the moment.  Generally I pretty
much LOATHE purple but these are the nicest
purples possible & teamed with great colours.

I got to use this ***gorgeous*** Creative Scrappers 
sketch & finished off some of last year's Pink Paislee
papers, starting by adhering my chosen elements together.


Then inking over a stencil and stitching around the edge to 
give a bit more depth & to bring in the lilac colour some more.


I often start my layouts like this - by creating a "back board"
before I start layering up my elements - if you haven't done
yours this way before you should try it - 
gets you off to a good start!


Next I added the photo but before I did I cropped and corner-rounded it
then layered it up on several different papers, some torn, some punched,
all propped up on some 3D board, again just to make it more interesting.


I added the chipboard die-cut lady & only gave her a flower
at her waist as that area of my page is the quiet spot - every 
page needs somewhere the eye can rest.


Once I had the photo down I added the cluster around and beneath
it, using Etsy handmade embellishments interspersed with die-cuts
 from the same line of papers & a bit of obligatory bling.


LASTLY I added the paintwork and the tiny bling dots.
USUALLY I do this first so this was rather nerve-wracking!
To paint/mist/ink on your pages you need to be brave.
You just have to bite your lip & go for it - it's great for your
breathing!  I hold my breathe the whole time LOL!!

Again I used a metal lid (from my old eyeliner actually!)
dipped in gesso to create the dots, aswell as several different
shades of paint and some bubble wrap.  Awesome fun...

Supplies List for "Behind that Smile" Layout

Navy cardstock - American Crafts
Green Print - Crate Paper - Portrait collection -
"Bouquet" B-Side
Floral Paper - Pink Paislee "Vintage Vogue" Collection
Die-cut Paper - KI Memories -Leafy Calendar

Other paper - Vintage Vogue offcuts and packaging
Border punches - Martha Stewart Crafts Scallop Dot
& Giant Daisy
Purple Ink - Pretty Color
Stencil - Crafter's Workshop 12" chicken wire
Cream embosssed elements - Artisan Elements -
Pink Paislee
Cardboard & felt flowers - Precocious Paper (Etsy)
Die-cut Elements - Pink Paislee Vintage Vogue
Bling - Kaisercraft

Gesso - Paper Plus
Navy, green & purple paints - Making Memories
Bubblewrap & thread - stash
Teal alphas - Basic Grey for Studio Calico
Tiny alphas - Making Memories
White pen - Uniball Signo




22 comments:

dstandard said...

Gorgeous page Helen - know what you mean it's still hard to mist or paint on a page for me!

Lynnda said...

OMG Helen!!!! You are just genius!!! Love this stunning layout!!!! You put everything together like an easy task!!! you are natural!!! I love this layout!!! Stunning... i can never work with those colors... I think I will just go NUMB!!! ... HE he... hugs...xoxo

Cindy Fortin said...

This is an amazing layout! I love absolutely everything about it.

I like your idea of beginning with a "back board". Maybe I'll give it a try!

Jasmine S said...

Fab paintwork. Great design and details and love that frame.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

You absolutely AMAZE me!!! I love love love love how you do your backgrounds! I am ALWAYS in awe!! I loveeeeee this!! GORGEOUS!

Irini said...

Helen WOW WOW WOW what can I say this layout blew me away....the colours the details...wow
keep inspiring us Helen
hugz
irini

Desire Fourie said...

Packed with gorgeousness once again. So seriously creative you are. Love the mini vintage lady.
Hugs
Desire

Chantal Vandenberg said...

This is gorgeous! I really love the yummy paint and that frame is so sweet!!! :D

Vicky Varvadouka said...

Oh..no..I lost my jaw...somewhere on the floor...This step by step just blows you away!!! From nothing to fantastic!!! Great work Helen! I love the colors and the background!!
Hugs!!
xoxo

sandi said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful! Love what you've done with the colors and the sketch!

Alison said...

I just love how you start with so little and build it up into something so stunning!...wish my brain worked like your's does!
Alison xx

Rachael Funnell said...

Love ♥ your Step by Step!!
The Colors are AWESOME & A GORGEOUS design Helen.....
Those Circles are Pretty COOL too!!!

Cathy said...

Beautiful LO and card Helen.. adore the paint work and your sweet felt flowers and the colours are gorgeous!! :)) hugs

yyam said...

Oh wow! I love the white paintwork here! Just gorgeous and artsy! Love the frame play too! Stunning work Helen! :)

Marelize said...

Love this Helen! So elegant and gorgeous. Perfect for this beautiful pic of your DD. Love the step by step instructions. TFS! xx

tania said...

oh this is beautiful helen!! the navy with the black and white photo is working so well:)you are just to goooood:)

Blossom inch said...

this page is absolutely making me blown away!

Unknown said...

wow so stunning dear friend!!

hugs carla

Lynette Jacobs said...

I always love seeing your process of creativity. I love the honeycomb stamping...gorgeous layout.

Unknown said...

OMG!! This is gorgeous! You are getting better and better each day! Love it!

Eila Sandberg said...

Just love the sketch and your take on it Helen! I know how hard people find purple but in this combo with the green it sings -just like your page!! makes me so happy to check out your creative process and how you put your pages together. So much generous inspiration that you share!! thank you darling! xoxox

Marilyn said...

Wow, Helen, this is GORGEOUS!!! you did a Fantastic work with these colors. love all the textures here, the paint touch is Fabulous!!!
Another Beautiful work!!! :)
A big hug!!