Monday 28 February 2011

Nailing your Shutter Speed...{plus The Photographer's Workshop Input time Review}





Something I have yet to do!  (Nail my shutter speed that is...)

This week's assignment was all about SHUTTER SPEED - shooting in SHUTTER PRIORITY MODE - something I NEVER do!
Still have last week's assignment to post but we'll get there...

This little man woke up at 5.30 to help me by being my model, how many other kids would do that with a smile & an "of course Mum!" ???
Needless to say his cheeky older brother declined :)  Aaaah the teens.....

Actually I keep forgetting that they are both teens now as this one has just had his birthday!  {Yup that means more photos to follow ;)  }
I am learning absolute HEAPS on this course.  It is really awesome.

Despite the hefty price-tag it is like a gym sub - good value if you really keep going at it & get your money's worth.  Easier said than done when there are other things to do in life as well.
There are a number of absolute beginners on this course, which I would say is fine SO LONG AS YOU HAVE EVEN MORE HEAPS OF TIME TO DEVOTE TO IT.  I have been shooting in semi-manual modes {mostly apperture-priority) for a couple of years now so would say that I was at an intermediate level & my brain is frying at times!!!

It is an absolutely wonderful resource though - there is a forum with more questions & answers than you will ever read {unless you are like me - in which case you WILL eventually read them all - even if it takes you the TWO YEARS that you have from the date your course started)  Yes, you have FULL ACCESS to the forum for 24 months!
Personally I doubt you'll ever learn all this course offers by attending other, less thorough courses on various different topics (I've tried...) so I would suggest "biting the bullet" & just diving in & doing the course if you are really serious about improving your photography.  Sadly there is no other way...

Realistically speaking you will need - on average - a minimum of an hour a day - every day of the week (Mon - Fri) or at least 5 hours a week (split up how you like 'cos usually the lessons are up on a Monday & with assignments being due in end Sunday you can structure your time as you like).
Then you will still have your assignments to read (these are very comprehensive & usually about 4 pages long & broken into 3 parts).

Then of course you will have to complete your assignment - I only get to mine over the weekend as I am NEVER ahead.  A typical shoot takes me an hour & I get about 300 - 500 shots (of which only 5 - 10% are usable/worth-keeping).
This might make me sound really bad LOL but actually that yield is about average!!  Yup - you gotta snap a lot :)

Then you have to upload, NO EDITING ALLOWED (here I have edited a little now that the assignment is in - which BTW only required 3 of these photos), make your selection then fill in the assignment form online (with all your shooting information - camera settings, etc) & submit.
That takes me an hour so you're looking at 7 hours a week absolute minimum.  I don't think it's worth spending so much on a course that you can't do properly.  Late assignments do not get evaluated & that evaluation is important or you'll never know where your weak spots are.  I like to spend at least half an hour a day in the forum/galleries too...reading, learning, commenting & saving photos to my inspiration file, so really, it can take a looooooooooooooong time.  That said, in my opinion my 10 hours a week is absolutely worth it - as exhausted as I am..... .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

12 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

Stunning photos...I love how you got those water drops frozen in time! Stunning Helen..you are really getting the most out of this course...good for you.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Oh wow, I can't tell you how much I admired you, not just your skill in photography, but also your drive for achievement, you power to stay focus, and on top of all that, YOU being a fabulous crafter! : )

Nadia Cannizzo said...

WOW! THESE ARE GORGEOUS....:o)

Chowchow said...

These are beautiful shots Helen. I have not started to learn how to use my DSLR effectively. I am amazed with the photos shot with the Shutter mode. Will try some shots like you to experiment with. My son plays football and I would like to capture some cool shots like yours.

Penny said...

Love those water droplets!!

Bernadine said...

lovely photos. I admire you dedication as I am not sure I would be able to be so dedicated and I don't even have any responsibilities. xxxx

Alia said...

Wow, go girl!! :)

Pearl said...

these are some fabulous captures already ! & what a sweetheart he is to model for you ! love the morning lighting in these pics.

Stefanie said...

I love these.
Wonderful.

Mel said...

Wow I need to check if I have different shutter speeds on my camera, these photos are amazing, watching the droplets as your son splashes is just amazing. Melx

Diana said...

Great post. I love how you interspersed your review of the course with your photos. It made for fun reading.

Jessy Christopher said...

Your photography skills are getting awesome each time!! In no time u gonna be a pro!!