Friday 15 January 2010

In case you thought I may have died...


Since last Friday I have had practically no internet access due to a faulty router. It started clucking like a chicken {and as it lives on my bedside table I found that a tad frustrating...} but if I clicked continuously on Firefox for about an hour a day I got 15 minutes on the internet every 3 days or so if I was lucky!

After 2 completely contradictory conversations with our dear internet provider here in South Africa {the one with the monopoly} & one waste of time trip, 4th time lucky this afternoon we got a snazzy new router & set it all up only to discover that my week of practically zero capability was NOT OVER {insert scream here...} My pc is oblivious to the fact that it has a willing new friend & facilitator & refuses to do anything except allow me to enjoy my view of the Eiffel Tower {my January desktop}!!!

I'll refrain from detailing what happened next as I need to go to bed now & would rather not relive the nightmare..suffice to say the tower is now at the front door ready & waiting for it's surgery tomorrow. Here I sit at the worst machine I have ever had the misfortune to meet, just to let you all know that I am not dead! Nothing is familiar to me here, Firefox is Internet Explorer, Google is Yahoo, even my own blog doesn't know me & wants a password {my other "launching pad" blog}...the cheek of it!

If it were possible for me to do what I do here I would, but with no PSE & Picasa, none of My Pictures etc, it just isn't. I would love to bloghop but even this keypad & mouse are from a bygone era. All I dare say about the monitor is we could perhaps recycle it as an aquarium at a later stage. DH has a state-of-the-art computer at work & uses this one to read the news... It's only other purpose is to hopefully add to our retirement fund at the next antiques fair.

I can assure you that SOMEHOW I will catch up on my visits & comments whenever that great day comes & my pc can actually function like a normal techno being. Until then I can't even work on the sketches & challenges I had all ready & saved for January {already missed the 4 I had decided to do for the 15th} because my scrappy schedule, complete with cut & paste specifications & challenge deadlines, sketch images, etc is sitting comfortably in my Word program{insert several screams here...}! So much for New Year's Resolutions - life always has a habit of getting in the way & making some of our plans impossible to achieve!

Despite all that some very good things have happened this week too. We have signed & sealed our house deal & the legal process is now in motion. We have a +- 9 week wait for the process to be completed so we have all the time we need to prepare. Thereafter I will be there every day for a month {as I'm not allowed to start any additions until the transfer is finalised} to customise our home to suit our needs. All in all it will be about 13 weeks before we can take occupation & I'm fine with that. Of course we're all dying to get in there but we need to spring-clean, decide on what to keep {we're upgrading but downsizing if that makes any sense!?} & pack. I never get the packers in {too much of a control freak lol}...

The kids went back to school on Wednesday} & all +-100 of their books & files are covered in paper & plastic {a marathon exercise} & our bank account is seriously depleted {after buying all their stationery requirements for the year!} So even though I'm sans technology {my cell phone is also dying a slow, undignified death} all our other plans are really taking shape ;-D



11 comments:

Vicki said...

That explains why I haven't heard from you! Good that all your plans are falling into place in spite of the technology glitches. LOL

tania said...

sure that is frustrating!!maybe you should speak to that agent, maybe there is a deal like: buy the house and get a laptop and cellphone for FREE!!!LOL! hope it all gets fixed for you sooon!!

Stefanie said...

And I thought you were just very busy with back to school stuff.
You must be so frustrated!

Lynette Jacobs said...

Must say...I thought you were awfully quiet...now it all makes sense. Hope you get everything sorted and are back permanently.

Michelle Ramsay said...

Oh man that is frustrating. Hang in there, things will get better.

Jessy Christopher said...

Sorry that you are having such a bad time with the internet connection. Hope everything will be normal again at your end. I'm happy to hear that you have purchased a hse, I am sure it is always comfortable to have a house called home :) Hope the kids are doing well with school too. Lots of XOXO to your way...

Shayne said...

Wondered why you were so quiet!

Glad it's nothing too serious lol!

See u soon.

Pearl said...

o good to hear you're up & runnning & connected with the world again ! lol !
no worries ! everything at your own time ! thinking of you !

Desire Fourie said...

Great to hear that there are at least some good news apart from the seriously bad.
Hugs
Desire

Ella Swan said...

First time back online since this post! Finally I have had some help to get back online (just now) as even the computer shop couldn't help me because my pc was working perfectly in the shop but refusing to connect online at home only(have just spent ages on the phone to our internet provider & after checking that all my network settings were okay he talked me through re-installing them all manually & now I have to connect each time I put the pc on)(like dial-up) because there is no other way around it. 15 days with no internet & I was beyond frustrated!!! Now I am delighted but have a busy time ahead getting caught up lol...will be in touch with you all asap ;-D

Marcelle said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and for telling me your story.
Its shocking indeed that your doctor didnt find out what was wrong with you that you had to live that way for so long.
Am pleased you have managed to find the cause now and improve your life.
Aspartame is a terrible thing...one week after stopping I began to feel myself self again...
P.S...managed to lose that kg I gained that one week, which I also think was due to cortisone.